Sunday 5 April 2009

Lecture 5 Government and Politics-Local Government


The most interesting thing I gained from this lecutre was definatly the information on the NIMBY's.
It took me back to last year in my hometown of Redhill, which is home to one of the most fundamentalist Mosques is the UK. There were plans to build an even bigger Mosque, which everyone in the town agreed was nessecary due to the influx of Muslims in the area, however when told it would be built within the town things went a bit sour and the locals became very against the idea saying there was no room already and that they have one and that is enough.
I wouldn't say I was a NIMBY because if something is set to benefit me I want it as close as to me as possible, however, on that particular occasion the people who attended the Mosque got a bit bitter and last year on March 23rd they marched through our town centre up to the Mosque declaring their religion as superior and damning Christianity, whats worse is the demonstration was held on Easter Sunday. I found this highly irritating as their reasoning was that the birthday of the Muslim prophet Mohamed had clashed with Easter Sunday, when it was infact the previous Thursday.
I was however very happy at the amount of English Christians who lined the march with British flags and signs saying 'I'm not racist, but I don't care!'

http://www.christianvoice.org.uk/Alerts/alert013.html

No comments:

Post a Comment