Sunday 5 April 2009

Empiricism and A-Priori

An empirical idea is based upon direct experience. An idea that can be backed up with proof and evidence. It's kind of like the whole I wont believe it untill I see it thing.

In comparison, APriori is an assumption which we believe to be true, a knowledge that is gained from deduction. A Priori knowledge is independent of experience. Galen Strawson wrote that an A-Priori argument is one of which "you can see that it is true just lying on your couch. You don't have to get up off your couch and go outside and examine the way things are in the physical world". (www.wikipedia.org./A-priori). A common example of A-Priori knowledge is mathematics, "if I have two apples now, and I plan to add three apples, I will have five apples. This is knowledge gained deductively. I did not actually need to get the three other apples and place them with the first two to see that I have five" (http://www.importanceofphilosophy.com/Irrational_APriori.html).

No comments:

Post a Comment